Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The picture of perseverance, his name is Russell~

I just got back from rolling down the street to visit my dear friend Russell Solice. I haven't been able to do that for a while. He's been in and out, but mostly in the hospital for the last 1 1/2 years with various problems. This last stint was 177 days. But he's finally home. He's not medically fixed by any means, he's still having issues, but he refused any further surgeries or medical interventions. He's worn out and I can't blame him at all for that. He wanted to go home. He wanted to spend time with his family as best he can. I so admire Russell for his incredible strength and courage.

Russell is a quadriplegic and has been since his car accident when he was 17 years old. He's now 47. He's been in that wheelchair 30 years now. The general lifespan of life for a quadriplegic is about 12-15 years. He's doubled that. I've always thought of him as the bionic man in a way. He just keeps trudging through and bouncing back from whatever comes his way. We celebrated his last birthday with him in the hospital. He spends most days flat on his back looking up at the ceiling, yet he always smiles.

He was feeling a bit blue about having to spend another birthday in the hospital, but his wonderful wife, Dianne, had a terrific idea. She cleared it with the nurses and put a bucket full of carnations in front of his door with a big sign asking everyone who entered the room to get a carnation and come in the room and say Happy Birthday to her hunny and put the flower in another vase. It was a big hit and it actually took him until about noon to figure out what was going on. He didn't know about the sign on the door or the carnations in a bucket. He was thrilled and so happy that she did that simple thing for him.



All I know is whenever I'm having a really bad day, all I need to do is go see Russell or give him a call. He always brings a smile to my face. He is probably one of the most pleasant individuals I've ever meet. Polite, gracious, unassuming and thankful. He is always thankful for everyone who comes to see him. He's happy they would take time out of their day to spend it with him. That anyone would make the extra trip to come over and spend a few minutes with him. He gives new meaning to the word grace.

Over the past few years I've taken to having a sort of cookie, brownie, cupcake ministry for him. We've also cooked meals for him and his wife and had the pleasure of sharing them with them at the hospital and at home in between hospital visits. I've experimented alot on cookies for Russell. He's always ready,set, go when it comes to treats and always raves about how good everything I make him is (someday's I'm not so sure, but he always raves)

For his birthday this year, I made him two different kinds of homemade cupcakes; coconut and chocolate peanut butter (anything cpb) he absolutely loves. He's cute. After we helped him eat his chocolate peanut butter one, between and ohs and ahs, he looked and me and said " I'm gonna need a cigarette after that one" wink, wink! That's Russell, always making us smile. You can count on him for that. Dianne told me she was only allowed 1/2 of a coconut cupcake and that's all. He wasn't sharing those puppies with anyone :)


I marvel at the thankful attitude that this one very special man has. I've learned much from him over the years in terms of standing tall even when you are down and out, because he does that everyday. I wish everybody had the same attitude towards life that Russell does. It sure would make the world a much friendlier place.

A strong Christian man, for me, Russell is the living example of 2 Corinthians 4:8-9 "We are afflicted in every way, but  not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed." He continues to persevere through everything he has been through in his life. It seems the tougher it gets, the stronger he is. He continues to shine his Jesus light, no matter what comes his way, everyday. I believe he will do that until the day the Lord calls him home. 

 I know I'm looking forward to that day myself when the disciple John described it this way: Revelation 21:4 "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Us disabled and handicap people have much to look forward to in heaven.!!We'll be standing tall with brand new bodies!! Yippee!! I'm looking forward to seeing Russell up there someday and asking him for my first dance, hoping he has twirl on his dance card, cause, knowing him and all his many friends, I'm sure it will be completely full.



                                                       Jordy, Russell, Ashley (his daughter) and me, dinner in the 
                                              sunroom at the hospital and below Steve and I with our pal and at the bottom
                                          Christmas 2013 Russell, Diane and their girls, Ashley, Mary and doggie Lucy, 
                                                          when he got a reprieve from the hospital for a few days!







My verses for today are above in red

My prayer for today:

Lord Jesus,  I come to you tonight on behalf of our very dear friend Russell. You made Russell dear God and as with all of us, only You know the number of his days. Lord, he's been through so much. Much more than so many others.

Be with him now Lord. Give him Your comfort and peace that surpasses all understanding. Pave the way so he can get the drugs he needs to be comfortable and enjoy these special days with his family. Give strength and peace to Ashley and Dianne as they support him. This family needs to be wrapped in your loving arms Lord, please do that for them. Bring them all together as they look to you for your wisdom and your perfect timing, as we all do everyday. Give them your peace.

I pray, Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my blog. Please leave them here and God Bless you~