Friday, April 19, 2019

Ron Watts, a man after God's own heart

It's been a while since I've written here. As this Multiple Sclerosis advances through my body, I find it more and more difficult to get my thoughts together in writable form. That plus my cataracts are getting worse all the time. Yikes...The cognitive side of MS is real for me and frustrating as it is, I'm thankful that I can still continue to spend time spreading the word of God through my Facebook and Instagram daily devotionals and my online prayer group for women with MS. That's so important to me and I will do it until my last breath. That is the least I can do for the Lord considering everything He does for me each day.

As much as I loved writing in this blog these past 9 years, it has been increasingly difficult because of my health issues, but even if it takes me a month to get my thoughts together, I strongly feel God pulling me to tell you the story about a wonderful ambassador for Jesus named Ron Watts and how the Lord has used this man for His Glory. So hear goes....

I met Ron when I took our first born son Eric who was 3 at the time to Sunday school at our neighborhood, Vamo United Methodist, in 1987. As I took Eric, (nickname Biff) into the Sunday school to drop him off for the first time, this very tall, lanky boisterous fellow approached me. "Welcome to Vamo Church young lady, what's your name"? I said Nicki Watts, he chucked and said " Really? Well, can you believe it? My name is Ron Watts, and I think we're going to be very good friends Nicki Watts, I can feel it." And looking back, Ron was right, because from that very first day, my heart belonged to Jesus and with Ron and all the other dear Christian friends I met at Vamo Church.

Ron's wonderful welcome set the stage for a 30+ friendship with me and every member of my family. That man in particular and those many Christian friends I made at that church have prayed our family through so many crisis' I've lost count. For years, as far as I was concerned, Ron was the patriarch of that church. He was the lay leader. He was a member of the choir. He had a bible class that led many to Jesus. But above all the tangible ways he served the Lord through the church, Ron was first and foremost an evangelist. He would talk to anyone and everyone he met about Jesus. It might be on the golf course, it might be at a party, it might be at a church function or on the Christmas tree lot (our church sold them for years), but Ron was always talking about Jesus and his love. His simple phrase to any newcomer he met was. "How are you with Jesus?" Some people were offended, but with Ron, you always knew where you stood. He was all about sharing the love of Jesus with everyone. Just a lovely, lovely man.

                
Ron and I in 1999, when he won the layperson of the year from the Lighthouse News

Fast forward 25 years. Ron and his sweet wife Sarina moved up to Sun City Center, a retirement community in Florida. Ron and Sarina joined a baptist church, and we were fortunate enough to go visit them at few times before we moved out of Florida in 2016. Ron joined the choir and began to share his love of the Lord with a whole new congregation. It was wonderful to see him shining for Jesus, like he always did.
Visiting Ron and Sarina in Sun City Center, Christmas 2013
    with Ted and Carol Smith, Nicki and Steve Watts, our former Pastor Brent and wife Mary Byerman

Unfortunately, a few years ago, Ron was diagnosed with Dementia, and for the last year or so he's been in memory care nearby the apartment that he and Sarina shared. He's had many health challenges. I keep in touch with Sarina every few months, checking up on them, and the last time I talked to her she told me an extraordinary story about Ron.

Many days because of his advancing dementia, he doesn't make much sense at all, and Sarina told me,, "Nicki I get so frustrated. One day he's fine, and the next day I can't understand a word he's saying. I get so discouraged." Such is the horrible disease of dementia.

Recently, Ron had an episode that landed him in the hospital. Sarina almost lost him she said, he was in a wheelchair, and once released they sent him to rehab. In the rehab facility, they taught him how to walk again among other things.

One of his physical therapists was a woman from Mongolia. Of course, Ron began talking with her about Jesus. She told Ron, I pray to Buddha every night. Ron told Sarina that he told her "Well, you can pray to Buddha all you want, but praying to Buddha won't get you into heaven. You need Jesus."

Now Sarina wasn't there and didn't witness this, so she wasn't sure exactly what was said. Could this be in Ron's mind, or did this actually happen? Sarina never met the woman and Ron finished with rehab and returned to the memory care facility. Life went back to their new normal for both of them. Sarina goes to see Ron most days and spends time with him. He's slipping daily, but thankfully he still knows her and still loves to talk about Jesus.

I often sent them picture of the family,and Sarina says whenever I do, Ron brightens right up and knows everyone in the pictures. We recently added a new grandson to our family and when I sent those new pictures of little Ben, Ron said, "He looks just like Biff, doesn't he?" So, the good old Ron is still in there somewhere.

So a few weeks ago, Sarina gets a call from one of the Elders at the baptist church they attended before Ron got sick. He told her that this woman from Mongolia began coming to their church a few weeks ago and she was getting baptized on Sunday and she said it was all because of a guy named Ron Watts. Sarina almost fell out of her chair. The story was true all along. Ron was doing what he does best.

As sick as this man is, his love of Jesus Christ is so ingrained in him that he is still winning souls for the Kingdom. Praise the Lord! I got chills down my spine! Thank you Lord. As long as Ron is still winning souls for the Lord and is needed on this earth, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Isn't that incredible story? Talk about a Easter miracle! God can use anyone at any stage in their lives. I was so uplifted by this story, I knew that somehow, I had to figure this out so I could spread the word to everyone. It's taken me a few weeks to get my thoughts on this together but it's well worth it. Thank you Lord for giving me the cognition to get through this. Continue to use our friend Ron like you always have.



Mark 16:15 tell us "He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." And that is exactly what Ron has been doing for years and years. Thank you Lord for Ron's continuing ministry. We have been so blessed to have this extraordinary man of God in our lives.

My verse for today is from Mark 16:15

My prayer for today/

Lord, thank you for Ron Watts. Thank you for his strong ministry for you for all these years. He has brought many souls into Your Kingdom. Be with him Lord. Comfort him as he goes through his days. Give him the strength and courage he needs to face his health challenges. Give him Your peace that surpasses all understanding.












Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my blog. Please leave them here and God Bless you~