Friday, May 14, 2010

How do you handle the joys and sorrows of life?

Anticipation, joys, disappointment and sorrows are part of our life. The good times are great, but how do you handle the tough times?

Our anticipations and joys start off simple: Mommy or Daddy coming home after being away, going to school for the first time, or making the new friends of our own away from our parents. Then as we go through our childhood into your adulthood, we have all the up and down emotions of growing up and going through our teenage years. Those exciting high school years are some of the best years of your life and you don't even know it. There is the joy of graduation and the eagerness of moving into the next phase of our life.

As we get launched into adulthood, we have the thrill of finding love for the first time, making new friends, moving onto college or the workforce, getting married, having our children, buying our first house and the list goes on and on. Life is full is of much so many emotions and so anticipation, especially in our younger years.

As you move through your twenties, of course, you think you have life pretty much figured out. It's so much fun to be out from underneath your folks and living apart from them. You want to participate in everything and try anything. Those years can be time of self-discovery and figuring out what you want to do with your life. Being with friends, traveling, learning, exploring and opening up to the world and all the possibilities that exist. Life is full of so much anticipation during these years, and it is so wonderful. They say youth if for the young, and that is a very true statement.

In their thirties, most people have settled into the routine of life, holding down a job, raising a family, working to keep food on the table, mortgages, watching the little ones grow and experiencing life through their eyes, which is always such a blessed time. There are many fun and adventurous family days, running around a lot shuffling kids here and there, and in this decade, I think for most folks are gladly looking forward to their future and their the future of their families.

When you hit your forties, life usually starts taking some wrong turns. You are thinking about turning 50 and what that means to you. Half a century is staring you square in the eye! You may be experiencing challenges with teenagers and their problems, may have lost your job or jobs, have problems with your own health, have financial challenges, have problems in your marriage or handling aging parents and all the changes that can mean in your life.

Since I'm only 54, I can't tell you what it is to be 60 or above, but I know that for me, handling the joys and disappointments up to this age has made me more aware of my need for someone other than myself to rely on. Specifically Jesus. Life is like a living organism, always growing and always changing. It's a roller coaster ride, and man, do you need something to hold onto!

In my health crisis in 1997, God cut me right off at the knees and said "Hey Nicki, pay attention to what "I" want you to do in with life I given you, not want you want to do." SLOW DOWN. Look at all the blessings and gifts I've given you. How are you using them to my Glory? Woah - that is was an " ahha moment " for me!

I think at some point in everyone's life, the Lord brings them to their knees. No matter when you experience challenges or changes in your life, at some point you're gonna say "I need help... please help me, God?" Save me God, how many times have we asked that of the Creator of the Universe..usually when we hit rock bottom.

And then we make promises to Him, "Oh God, if you will only save this person, or make them well again, or take away this intense pain I'm feeling, I promise I'll do anything you ask. Did you ever notice how God is always there, patiently waiting for us to approach Him. He's such a gentlemen. He doesn't barge into our lives and say "Hey, pay attention to me will ya?" He just stands by and wait for us to reach out to him." He knows how it's all gonna play out.

Then life settles back into the familiar routine, but how many of us strive to keep those promises we make when God rescues us or someone we love? And if it is in His infinite wisdom, He decides not to grant a positive answer to your prayer request - how do you react? Do you blame Him for things that happen in your life? Please don't.

I have tried my whole life to give the Lord my best. May times I've fallen down and disappointed Him, but He is always there for me. I haven't always been there for Him, but He has Always been there for me. All I have to do is talk to Him, confess my sins and we move on. Seek His Face, and He will open himself to you. What would I do without God in my life? I don't know and I don't want to find out. He is everything to me. He gives each breath I take, He is everything I am. He has blessed me beyond measure and far beyond anything I deserve,

Invite Jesus into your life! Having a personal relationship with your Creator gives such peace during good days and bad. It makes the joys of life fuller and He will pull you through the storms, being by your side, all the way. I know first hand that you can endure anything when you have Jesus riding shotgun. You will welcome anticipation and handle disappointment with a new attitude, and be thankful for everyday He gives.

My verse for today is one of my favorite from Psalms 100:

Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before Him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is He that made us, and we are His, we are His people, the sheep of His pasture.

Enter His Gates with Thanksgiving, and His courts with Praise. Give thanks to Him and Praise His Name. For the Lord is good and his loves endures forever, his faithfulness continues through all generations.

My prayer for today:

Lord Jesus:

I am in the anticipation mode! I am excited about leaving for NC tomorrow. I pray this will be a joyous time for me. I pray that me and my friend Michelle will have a relaxing, uplifting time together. Help us draw close to you. Help me to have a meaningful time with my family. Give us safe travel. If I have trials while I am there, help me to lean on you :)

Help my husband with the strength he needs to do everything He has to each day. He has such a full plate. He is such a loving, giving man and I am so blessed to have Him and my boys. Bless them all. Thank you Lord for all I have.

In Jesus Name I pray,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my blog. Please leave them here and God Bless you~