Sunday, May 9, 2010

Celebrate Mothers & Celebrate Life!

Today was Mother's Day and I had a wonderful and relaxing day, with family and a very dear friend Michelle. I received a card and phone call from my oldest, a dozen roses from my youngest, and a delicious dinner and swim with my hubby and Michelle.

Plus, I got to talk to my Mama, which is always great. She sounds good and pretty cheerful for someone 82! She has so much spunk and vitality, and I love her for that. She can't walk anymore and is in a nursing home now, but that hasn't diminished her spirit. My Dad has been through a rough ordeal these last two months, but she has remained strong and steady. As I look back at my childhood, my Dad was a hard worker and always endured long hours, but I think my Mom was always the strong and steady one...the stabilizing glue in our family. She is an amazingly strong lady. I think I get a lot of my strength from her, and I am so happy and blessed that she is my Mom. I'm very fortunate to still have her in my life and am looking forward to seeing her probably within the next 3 weeks, which is always exciting for me! I was thinking alot today about my Mom and the tradition of Mother's Day and wanted to share a few things I learned online tonight.

Mother's Day is centuries old, and can even be traced back to the Ancient Greeks, who celebrated Rhea, the mother of the gods, with festivals. The early Christians named it Mothering Sunday and it was a day to honor Mary, mother of Jesus Christ. It is still celebrated as Mothering Day in England. Then in 1872, there was a day organized for mother's, dedicated to peace.

The real Mother's Day movement began in this country in 1907 when a dedicated schoolteacher, Anna Jarvis, began to organize and petition for an official day to celebrate mothers, in honor of her own Mom, Ann Marie Reeves Jarvis. After continued persistence and petition, in 1914 President Woodrow Wilson declared that the second Sunday in May was officially a National Day to honor Mom's and so the tradition began! Did you know all those things about Mother's Day? I sure didn't~~

How did you celebrate your Mom today? If she's still with you and lives nearby, I hope you were blessed enough to be able to spend some time with her. If she's far away, I pray you were able to call her and tell her how much you love her, and thank her for everything she's done for you over the years. If you are physically separated through death or estrangement, I hope you said a prayer for her and thanked the Lord for the life she gave you.

You only have one Mom and one Dad. They are the ones that gave you life, celebrate it! If they are still in your life, please celebrate their special days and say thanks while you still can. Happy Mother's Day Everyone!

My verse for today is from Ephesians: 6:1-3

"Children, obey your parents, in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother---which is the first commandment with a promise---that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on this earth."

My Prayer:

Lord Jesus,

Thank you for this Mother's Day. Thank you for my husband and the two beautiful children that you have blessed us with. Help us to remember that they are only on loan from you, that their lives are in your Hands.

Now that they are all grown up they need your protection most of all. Thank you for the good times and bad, and helping all of us get through them, knowing that "all things work together for good for those who love you and have been called according to your purposes" Romans 8:28 Please protect my children. Give them wisdom Lord, especially wisdom in this crazy world we live in now and the strength to endure each day you give.

In Jesus Name I pray,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my blog. Please leave them here and God Bless you~