Friday, August 12, 2011

Getting off the treadmill of life~~

Do you sometimes feel like you are on a treadmill? Like everyday, you are going round and round, and it's hard to get off? I used to be like that back in my working days. I was super Mom to the nenth degree. I could do and did do it all. I took care of the 2 young kids and their busy school and activity schedules, a bustling and growing career, which included alot of travel, my husband, and my home. I was busy all the time. I loved my life, but I was headed for a crash and I didn't even know it. I joyfully did it everything, until I crashed and burned back in 1997.
 
 
                                                     
It wasn't until I got through my diagnosis with MS and actually had time to stop and think about my life, did I realize that I had been on a collision course, and it took God Almighty to bring me to my knees to see it.  I think especially us Moms can get so caught up in the everyday business of raising a family, that we can ignore signs and symptoms of what's going on in our own lives. We tend to put everyone else first, ya know? 

I remember when my pastor came to visit, shortly after my roller coaster ride diagnosis of MS. He and his wife had been with me throughout that long month while the doctors tried everything to reach a diagnosis. When they finally did, my pastor made this profound statement to me: He said:  "Nicki, God didn't give you this MS, but he can take this thing that has happened to you and use it to His Glory, if you will let him." I've never forgotten those wise words, and I have spent much of my time these past almost 14 years, trying to bring God glory in all I do. That hasn't always been easy by any means, because I'm just a miserable sinner, just like all of us are, but it's a higher aspiration I have and I still try to achieve it everyday. I want my life to count for something. That's important to me. I want to make a difference in this world for the Lord. I have always felt His presence with me, and I have always felt Him with me,.


Forever and Ever copyright artist Greg Olsen
                                                       
I think it's vitally important for all of us to take a deep breath and find the time to reconnect with our Creator, sooner rather than later. I know that it will make for a much smoother life if we do. He created us, and there is a hole in us that NOTHING or no one can fill other than Him. No materialistic "things" will fill that hole in our hearts, no person can fill that hole. Only He can fill it, with the Word of God and with his living presence in your life through His son Jesus Christ. Sometimes, its so hard to see that. I think many people go through their entire lives, seeking something that they never find, because they don't realize that the only thing that will ever satisfy their souls is a relationship with the Living God.
 
It's not easy to take the time to slow down and "talk to God." and reach out to Him. Our attention is always pulled away to the newest things: the latest computer, exciting new phone, or camera, or printer or video game. New clothes, new cars, bigger houses, nicer furniture. Getting what the Joneses have can become an obsession if we let it. The biggest and best vacations, the bigger TV's, making sure your kids go to the most prestigious schools. The best hair style, nicer nails, and the list goes on and on. There's always something that keeps nagging at us to do better or make a better impression and it all takes our time. But, it's all busy work, don't you think? If we really want to, we can take a few minutes out of our day to spend some time with the Lord. Spend time thinking about why we are here on this earth, after all? Every life has a purpose; finding it is the key to happiness.
 
So, I decided all those years ago to spend my time concentrating on the good things and thanking God for all the blessings I have, instead of complaining about what I don't have. After all, there's always somebody who has more, and there are always tons of people who have less, and it all comes from Him anyway. We are just good stewards while we are here on His earth, that's all.

After all, all these things we do and acquire while we are here on earth are just "stuff." We can't take it with us. Ever seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul? Nothing we accumulate while we are here on earth is portable. God made it that way. He wants us to store up "treasures" in heaven, not here on earth. That's because what happens here is temporal, but what happens in heaven is eternal!  

So, get off your treadmill. Take some time. Slow down. Spend time with your loved ones while you still have them. Count your blessings, not your troubles. Make a list if you have to. Be joyful and rejoice! Store up some eternal treasures, and spend some time with your Creator. Thank the Lord for your life and everything and everyone in it. Life is good and we are truly blessed. He made us and He wants us to return onto him. He's waiting with open arms~

My verse for today is from Matthew 6:19-21.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourself treasures in Heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in. For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be."

My prayer for today:

Dearest Heavenly Father:

Thank you Lord for my life. Thank you Lord for my salvation. Thank you for my family and what they they mean to me. Help me Lord, to spend my days being used by you. Open my heart to others who are hurting. Help me to bring your message of mercy and salvation. I'm yours Lord, use me for your good purposes. Help me to help others leave the treadmill of life behind them and grab onto the one true thing that matters --YOU!

In Jesus Name,
Amen 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my blog. Please leave them here and God Bless you~