Saturday, October 13, 2012

Jesus, our comforter~~

If you are a fairly regular reader of my blog, you've probably been wondering where I've been for the past few months. I know I haven't written too often and I'm sorry about that, but there's a reason.

This whole year has been a tough one for me. It started out last December, losing my beloved Mom, then shortly followed up by my sweet Dad's passing only 2 months later. We closed up our home in the beautiful mountains of NC and put it up for sale, and starting and following through the summer, I've had orthopedic issues with my feet, back and now both knees. I'm heading in for arthroscopic knee surgery in a little over a week, hoping that will get me moving again.

Me and my multiple sclerosis have had a tough time dealing with the Florida heat probably because I'm just not used to it. This is the first summer I've spent the entire summer months down here, I'm used to spending a good deal of my summer months in the cool mountain air of NC. Physically it was tough to be in this heat, but emotionally it was wonderful because my husband and I re-connected after spending way too much time apart these past few years. Everything is a trade off, right?

I've also had some family challenges too. Add all that up and you can see that things have been a bit off kilter here at the Watts House for a while. When I take time to think back on what I've been through and my family has been through this year, it's no wonder I'm worn out.

But here's the thing: we all go through tough times! Every one of us faces challenges in our lives, it how we bare under the weight of those challenges that will make the difference in our lives. I'm sure we've all felt like we've carried the weight of the world on our shoulders from one time or another.



I have to admit, I've had real times of depression these past months, which isn't like me. It seems like when you roll from one crisis to another it can really take the wind out of your sails. I've found it's hard to regroup when you are done with one thing, and right behind it, there is another issue ready to take over and stay there for a long period of time. I've learned from my years of living with MS and the challenges of dealing with the ups and downs of a chronic disease, that the only place I can ever find solace is in the arms of the great comforter, Jesus, my savior. Matthew 11:28-30 says "“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

                                                  There is peace and comfort in the loving arms of Jesus Christ. 

What a wonderful promise that is from God's Holy Word. Oh, why do we not look to Him first when things go awry in our lives? Why do we think we can ever handle our troubles in our own strength? We simply are not equipped to do it. That is NOT the way God made us. He wants us to draw close to Him. He's waiting with open arms to comfort us in our times of need. But, how many of us turn away and run to other things to help us deal with the crisis' in our life: drugs, alcohol, food, TV, sports,  shopping, and all kinds of other idolatry. We will do anything but go to the one who can and will help us! Why are we so stubborn? It's our human condition I guess..... it's called sin. We foolishly think we have a better idea, we have a better way and we've got it all figured out. WRONG! 

I'm just as stubborn as you are, I've just learned from years of experience that He is the only answer to any of my problems. Simple as that. Trials are just a part of life. We all have them and we ALL go through them. James 1:2-4 tells us about suffering: "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

It's hard to think of trials as perfecting your faith, but that is exactly what they do if you will learn from them and grow in your faith from them. Your faith will grow through your suffering, and you can shine for Jesus and bring Him glory through your suffering. How do you do that? By taking the trial and leaning on God through prayer and reading His word during that time. Spend time with your Creator, seek His Face and He will lighten your load. Look for your answers not from yourself, but from the one who can really help. 1 Peter 1:7 says "These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."

The Comforter © Greg Olsen ~~
 I've felt like this young lady many times this year because I have been confined to bed because of
physical problems, yet I knew that Jesus was right there with me. He truly is the comforter for us all!

As you get through the trial through your complete devotion to God, praise Him and share with others how He delivered you from your pain and suffering. It's a win~win situation for both of you.Why not give it a try? You get the comfort, He gets the Glory! He will never let you down. He will always be by your side, no matter what. Jesus is the friend that never goes away. Your friends, your spouse, your parents, your children. even your grandchildren ~~ they will all let you down at one time or another because they are human beings, but the Creator of the Universe promises to never leave your side, EVER. Deuteronomy 3l: 8 tells us "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

Believe that and your comfort will come full circle in the loving arms of Jesus Christ. 

My verses for today are above in red.

My prayer for today:

Dearest Heavenly Father:

We don't know the ways of Providence. We don't know why we go through the trials of life or what purpose they serve for us, but you do. Help us Lord, to always turn to you when we face difficulties in our lives. Help us to seek your face and not to lean on our own understanding because we don't know what's best for us, YOU DO!
Forgive me Lord for times this past year when I haven't turned to you, when I've tried to figure it out on my own. Thank you that I can come to you in all circumstances and for all things. Thank you for your unending love.

In Jesus Name I pray,
Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my blog. Please leave them here and God Bless you~