Friday, April 23, 2010

Can you see God in the tough times?

Today is a down day from my interferon shot last night. I'm beginning to come around now and am up vertical, instead of horizontal - so I wanted to blog, especially about the Walk to Emmaus. It's a 72 hr. spiritual walk, based on Luke 24:13-30. I am praying about the walk and the pilgrims from my church that went this weekend. I am praying that I will be able to go sometime soon and that my husband will also agree to go. I think it would be a wonderful weekend. We would go separately, but the experience I know we would share for the rest of our lives together. My friend Cindy has been encouraging me, and this morning called me with a special burden on her heart about the retreat. We are praying together that God will work out all the details for the trip in the fall. If you know that scripture concerning Emmaus, you know that Jesus appeared to two disciples, but they were so preoccupied with the events of the last days, Jesus trial, crucifiction and the empty tomb, that they could not see him as their risen Lord as they walked along. It wasn't until the end of their time together when sat down and broke bread with them, that their eyes were opened and they saw the risen Lord sitting right there with them.

We have that "Footprints" poem hanging in our house - I'm sure you've seen it or might have one hanging in your home. It's the one where you are walking along on the beach with the Lord and then all the sudden there are only one set of footprints because the Lord is carrying you through the tough times and there's only one set of footprints instead of two.

I often think about how all of us can go through the tough times in life and not see Jesus carrying us, just like the poem says. But He does. He's right there with us, in good times and bad. We all have bad times, it's part of life. Our family, kids, jobs or lack of them, sickness, parents, and the burdens of them getting older, grand kids, pressures of mortgages, car payments, putting food on the table, running here, there and everywhere trying to keep up with everything and everyone. It can overtake you on any given day if you let it, but please try to remember that in all the madness... God is there right along side you. Can you see him? Pls. tell me how you can see him. I sure can and have many times in my life. Have a blessed weekend, friends.

Today's verse is from Matthew 28:20 ..."And surely I am with you always, to the end of the age."
My prayer for today:

Dearest Lord:

Help me to see you in every situation. Help me to slow down and be still, even if only for a few minutes each day. Your scripture says Draw Near to God and He will draw near to you. Help me to do that each day Lord, pull at my heart to know you, to find you in all things. You are everywhere on this earth, in a new baby's cry, the fresh dew in the morning, a beautiful sunrise or sunset. Open my eyes to see you each day and be thankful.

In Jesus Name I pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments on my blog. Please leave them here and God Bless you~